Monday, June 6, 2011

端午節

In the Lunar Calendar, today is the 5th day of the 5th month, where we also celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival or 端午節.. It is one of the festivals where everyone eats at least one Zongzi or 粽子.. It was said that this festival has a lot of origins, but when I was still in high school, we were told only one of the origins which I think, makes a lot of sense too.. :) It is the story of Qu Yuan (屈原) who was a poet and committed suicide in a river and since the people there loved him very much they threw zongzi all over that river so that instead of eating his body the fishes would eat the zongzis ^^,

Zongzi or 粽子

Aside from eating, there are other activities that are done during the festival like the dragon boat race.. :) I have never since any live dragon boat race in my whole life but it is definitely on my list to do before I die.. ^.^ I just know that it would be such an exciting event that will make me so happy and I can even already imagine myself cheering out loud... '0'


I think that this is my first time, where I ate zongzi on the exact day of the festival :) But, it's just that, here in the Philippines, or even anywhere in the world (I think), zongzi is available all year-round that is why I don't put too much importance to it. But this year is begs to differ because I was quite glad and even proud that I got to celebrate it today.. :) Our Zongzi had pork slices in it as well as a piece of shiitake mushroom. I like eating it with sweet not spicy sauce and a bit of fresh garlic! :) You can also eat it with hot sauce or even ketchup! :)


I'm not sure if this festival has any cheerful essence in to it but I know that it is a holiday in China and Taiwan and I just really want to greet everyone 端午節快樂 (happy dragon boat festival) which is just like 生日快樂 (happy birthday)!! Do people say this??? :))


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails